Transportation Program Policy and Procedures
Last revision 10/3/19
The ALS Association Greater Philadelphia Chapter Mike Kilpatric ALS Transportation Program is available to provide transportation to people with ALS registered in our Chapter.
To be eligible for the Chapter’s transportation program, an individual must:
● Have a diagnosis of ALS and be registered with the Chapter.
● To utilize the van - live within a 60 mile radius of the Chapter office in Ambler, PA.
● Complete and sign the Transportation Program Registration form before using the service.
The following policies are required to ensure we can deliver safe and effective van transportation services:
● All persons with ALS utilizing the van must be accompanied by a caregiver.
● Seatbelts must be worn by all passengers at all times while the vehicle is in operation. For your safety, the driver will confirm that seatbelts are secured before operating the vehicle.
● Individuals must be able to exit their home/building without the assistance of the ALS driver.
● Drivers are instructed to wait no more than 15 minutes for the individual at the designated pick-up time. More than a 15-minute delay could result in the driver leaving and the trip being cancelled.
● The driver’s sole responsibility is to operate the vehicle. They will assist with loading the individual into the van and securing the wheelchair; however, they have no medical training and cannot be involved in any other activity except driving.
● The driver must be with the van at all times and cannot accompany the individual into their destination.
● Additional passengers are accommodated based upon the number of additional seats available. We are not able to transport minors.
● The driver is not permitted to use a mobile phone or other device while operating the vehicle.
● Priority is given to patients that need transportation to ALS clinics.
● Weekend, evening, and holiday van service is dependent upon driver and van availability.
● Transportation cannot be used for admission to or discharge from the hospital.